incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@me.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT][IP Clearance] Flex Documentation for Apache Flex
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:38:12 GMT
Hi,

> I guess I don’t understand.  For review, the language is variations of:
>
> "Adobe and Adobe Flash are either registered trademarks or trademarks of
> Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries and
> are used by permission from Adobe. No other license to the Adobe
> trademarks are granted.”

Which means to me we can us Adobe and Adobe Flash Flash trademarks but no other Adobe trademarks.

> This is the language Adobe Legal instructed me to use.  To me, it says
> that Apache has permission to use the trademarked names in the content of
> the files in the donation but not elsewhere.

The Adobe and Adobe Flash trademarks yes, but not for ColdFusion, Dreamweaver, Illustrator,
Photoshop etc etc trademarks. In order to use those I believe that the words "No other license
to the Adobe trademarks are granted” would need to be removed and the other trademarks added
where needed. As I said I’m not 100% sure of the legal implications here, but IMO it needs
to be clarified before we can accept the donation.

Thanks,
Justin