incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT][IP Clearance] Flex Documentation for Apache Flex
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2015 08:13:34 GMT
Hi,

> In my opinion mentioning such trademarks in documentation is perfectly
> ok as long as we acknowledge them, I don't see how that could cause
> harm to their owner.

And normally that would be the case and everything would be fine.

However Adobe legal have asked to add a non standard attribution which may (or may not) exclude
us using their other trademarks like Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, ColdFusion etc that
are also contained within the donated content and that were missed when doing the IP clearance.

Again possible solutions are:
1) Use standard attribution [1] for AIR, Flash and remove all other Adobe trademarks. Should
be straight forward and neither Adobe or us should have an issue with that.
2) Leave all trade marks in, add the provided non standard attribution for all Adobe trademarks,
and double check with Adobe legal if that’s what they actually intended.

The simpler option would be IMO 1. It is extremely hard to second guess what Adobe legal requires
or even intended here as a) the conversation around this happened off list b) no reason has
been given for using the non standard attribution.

Thanks,
Justin