incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL Code in GitHub
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2015 15:30:34 GMT
There's not strictly a legal problem with the GPL-using code to be in
Apache's source code repository (and itself be under the Apache
license) - but due to the 'viral' nature of GPL, any compiled products
become GPL as well.

For LGPL dependencies this is less of a worry - but still LGPL comes
with the requirement that you have to be able to replace the LGPL bit
with your own version - which of course is easy enough when you can
move around a JAR in a folder - but not so easy if the Apache-licensed
code has been inserted into a DVD player.

Several projects [1] do use GPL/LGPL dependencies, but solely for test
and build - which is kind-of OK (although [2] has not been updated yet
to explain test dependencies).

The danger is that that compiled code makes it into an Apache binary
release (say by a new committer in two years time) - or that a
consumer downloads the Apache source code, compiles it, and then
distributes the binaries without knowing the the GPL implications of
that.

So to play safe - simply keep it outside the Apache code base at all.

[1] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201501.mbox/%3C54AB9926.4080902@apache.org%3E
[2] https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#build-tools

On 4 March 2015 at 15:22, Julian Tenney <Julian.Tenney@nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
> We have two things that are GPL: one is optional, I don't have any problem with that.
I'm trying to get a bit more understanding of the other one!

> But the point is taken: if that component is needed to make a certain function work,
and that function is considered a central part of the software (a feature as it were), then
there is a problem.

> So it follows that any GPL based stuff must be optional, bringing additional functionality.
>
> I know the developer is going to ask why can't it live in the repository. But first I'll
find out if it is a feature or an option.

Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718