incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ignite (Incubating) 1.0
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 21:22:39 GMT
 ?
My apologies for not looking up how to actually use Ignite :)

The build still requires the edtFTPj dependency to compile, even
without -Plgpl - using urideploy through Maven would always pull in
the edtFTPj dependency.

It is also in the zip:
  inflating: ignite-fabric-1.0.0/libs/optional/ignite-urideploy/edtFTPj-1.5.3.jar

I see it says a different license there

ignite-fabric-1.0.0/libs/optional/ignite-urideploy/licenses/edtftp-license.pdf
(from http://www.enterprisedt.com/products/edtftpj/doc/license.pdf )

which is "Subject to payment of the Source License fee:" and have
several requirements for notices (which may or may not be satisfied by
you including that PDF :) )

This is a bit unclear to me.. have you paid that fee? Do I need to pay
that fee to use urideploy? Can I give this compiled
ignite-fabric-1.0.0.zip to a customer, or would they also need to pay
a fee?

I guess this comes from
http://central.maven.org/maven2/com/enterprisedt/edtFTPj/1.5.3/edtFTPj-1.5.3.pom
and some  Maven plugin just picking the last <license> ?

On 31 March 2015 at 16:43, Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrakyan@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> That thread does not mention edtFTPj or the test dependencies.
>>
>> http://enterprisedt.com/products/edtftpj/
>>

>> but if edtFTPj is optional, why is it then not marked as such in the
>> modules/urideploy/pom.xml?
>>
>> If I comment out edtFTPj, then I get lots of compiler errors.
>>

> Stian, edtFTPj is also optional (sorry, forgot to mention). I am not sure
> what you mean by commenting it, but the maven build does not include it
> into the release with default settings, no need to change anything.
>
> - Execute "mvn clean package -DskipTests" with JDK 7
> - Go into "target" folder and unzip "ignite-fabric-1.0.0.zip" file
> - You will notice that there is not a single LGPL dependency there.
>
> If users would like to explicitly include LGPL dependencies into their own
> build, then they should build the project with the following command:
>
>     "mvn clean package -DskipTests -Prelease,lgpl"
>
> These instructions are also listed in the DEVNOTES.txt.
>
> Hope this clarifies things.
>
> D.
>

>> modules/urideploy is depended on by modules/spring which is depended
>> on by lots of other modules, it does not look optional to me.
>>
>> On 31 March 2015 at 16:26, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think we established that these were optional and thus allowed during
>> > the last release:
>> >
>> >     http://s.apache.org/vfN
>> >
>> >     As far as LGPL, to my knowledge, Ignite only has 2 optional LGPL
>> >     dependencies which are for the optional integration with the
>> following
>> >     products:
>> >
>> >     - Hibernate ORM, http://hibernate.org/orm/
>> >     - JTS Topology Suite from VividSolutions for geospatial indexing,
>> >     http://www.vividsolutions.com/jts/JTSHome.htm
>> >
>> > Marvin Humphrey

>> --
>> Stian Soiland-Reyes
>> Apache Taverna (incubating), Apache Commons RDF (incubating)
>> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718