incubator-general mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Is a vote really needed to add a PPMC ?
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 08:13:18 GMT
Hi

We (Corinthia) is currently having an interesting discussion about voting,
one of the questions
are about consensus instead of vote.

In a TLP the rules for sending a NOTICE mail to board are simple:
- The Chair can do it based on consensus or a vote, without mail reference
- Any PMC members can do it based on a vote, WITH a mail reference.

Now a PPMC does not have a chair, so I assumed a Vote is mandatory (see
also http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html that talks about voting
in a new PPMC.

But doubt has been raised, whether the IPMC would also acknowledge
consensus ?

In my opinion, the IPMC "simulates" board, and should allow the podlings as
much freedom as possible, hence allow consensus even though a podling has
no chair.

Thoughts ?

rgds
jan i