incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ICLA/CCLA/SGA guidelines for GitHub or multi-entity projects was: [Groovy] Next steps...
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:55:53 GMT
On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 5:42 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...what are the best practices to follow when creating a new project, outside
> the ASF, with the goal of eventually contributing that work to an existing
> ASF project?...

Following as much of our maturity model [1] as possible helps - in
this case I think footnote 5 is particularly relevant:

"In Apache projects, the ASF owns the copyright for the collective
work, i.e. the project's releases. Contributors retain copyright on
their contributions but grant the ASF a perpetual copyright license
for them. (5) "

Similarly, the owner of an external project should make sure it owns
sufficient rights on its contributions to sign our Software Grant.

Which also means that the owner must be clearly defined.

-Bertrand

[1] https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html