incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pTLP process amendments
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:44:30 GMT
On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 3:24 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> ...the steps that lead to the board voting on the pTLP
>> creation resolution are IMO best handled by the Incubator PMC, as they
>> are fairly similar to the creation of a podling...
>>
> Please explain why that resolution cannot come from the community itself.

It can, but I'd like it to be at least exposed for public review, in
the same way as podling proposals are.

The goals are to make people aware that a new project is about to be
created, and to provide a space (this list) for public review.

Other steps that are similar to podling creation are the name checks,
recruiting mentors, fine tuning the initial project charter, etc. -
this list is an excellent place to do all this, even though for some
pTLPs the work might be minimal. The Incubator PMC might not have a
formal say in pTLP creation, but there's significant work that happens
before that, collaboratively and in public.

-Bertrand