incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Groovy Incubation proposal
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2015 11:27:56 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
> Am 12.03.2015 10:57, schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
>> ....it's fine to include only the "core" Groovy committers
>> to enter incubation, as usual it will be their task to grow that
>> community before graduating.
>
> community equals committers?

No, committers are only part of that of course - but an Apache podling
has to demonstrate that it knows how to select, vote in and onboard
new committers and PMC members.

Note that non-code committers and PMC members are also welcome in
Apache projects. They're made committers because they are committed to
the project (and we don't have a different role name) but they might
not contribute much code - as happens for people who write docs and
tutorials, act as evangelists etc.

> ...Anyway... how many committers would you guys find appropriate to exit
> incubation - whenever that will be? 5 seems not to be enough....

To be viable I'd say an Apache project needs at least 5 PMC members
when graduating, as you need 3 to vote on things and people cannot be
expected to be active all the time.

But there's not set number of committers or PMC members that you need
to add during incubation, it's just "demonstrating the ability to grow
the community" which shouldn't be hard for Groovy.

HTH,
-Bertrand