incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ignite (Incubating) 1.0-RC3
Date Sat, 21 Mar 2015 23:02:28 GMT
On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 2:30 AM, Dmitriy Setrakyan
<dsetrakyan@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:

>> Is this GPL software bundled or required?
>> ./modules/core/src/main/resources/META-INF/licenses/gnu-gplv2ce-license.txt
>> ./modules/geospatial/licenses/jts-lgpl-license.txt
>> ./modules/hibernate/licenses/hibernate-lgpl-2.1-license.txt
>> ./modules/schedule/licenses/cron4j-lgpl-2.1-license.txt
>>

> These are optional runtime dependencies (GPL code is not present in the
> Apache Ignite source tree). The license text is provided on per-dependency
> basis to let the user know that if he/she chooses to include the
> dependency, then it will be under the specified license.

I think whether that's OK is going to depend on how the Ignite code interfaces
with any GPL code.  If it's going through a generalization layer a la JDBC
which just happens to be implemented by GPL code, that might be OK.  If Ignite
is implementing against a GPL-only interface, probably not OK even though the
dependency is optional.  I think it would be best to pursue the matter
further, either on the podling list, here, or on legal-discuss@apache.  Here's
some prior discussion:

http://apache.markmail.org/thread/i6uzkkyibxx7bniv

Marvin Humphrey