incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wave community may need our help
Date Sun, 15 Mar 2015 02:52:29 GMT
Hi Christian!

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:39 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<grobmeier@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Roman,
>
> you might have noticed, that one of the mentors (me) were actively
> asking for this report. I simply forgot to sign it, which does not
> happen often to me. In example, the last report was signed (Dec).

Sorry I missed that round trip. Didn't mean to imply you were MiA,
but just wanted to say that to me a non-signed report is like
a non-report. IOW, if it were up to me I'd ask for it to be re-submitted
next month (fully understanding that mistakes happen).

> More mentors are always welcome; but its not this podling is out on his
> own. From mentoring activities, I even joined a Google Hangout to
> clarify questions, and releases were reviewed.
>
> When it comes to the situation of this podling, it hasn't changed much.
> I wonder why you think Wave would turn the corner.

It is just for the first time ever they are talking about having a release
'real soon now!' I thought that was the first sign they were serious
about getting closer to graduation.

> From time to time I start the retirement discussion at the podling as I
> don't think Wave will get enough momentum. There is a small community,
> but they cannot dedicate enough time. My personal opinion is that it
> will not make graduation at any time, and i told that before. I am happy
> if the project turns out otherwise.
>
> That being said, I am still on mailing lists, i am still helping out, I
> just wasn't there in the past 10 days for personal reasons.

Terrific! Thanks for sticking with this poddling. Sounds like you're
doing everything to help them move forward.

> Again, I wrote this response to help giving the right impression on the
> podling, not to put your good intentions down to help. I am really happy
> if somebody else would help as mentor, as well as with log4cxx and
> ripple.

This is very much appreciated!

Now, based on what you and Upayavira have said, perhaps it is not
more mentors (as I originally implied) but a collective capacity of
IPMC to make tough calls that is needed here.

Is there any chance for an honest discussion with the poddling?

Thanks,
Roman.