incubator-general mailing list archives

From Cédric Champeau <cedric.champ...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Groovy Incubation proposal
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:25:44 GMT
On 12/03/2015 18:19, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Cédric Champeau
> <cedric.champeau@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I made this remark to myself, which is that too many people still think that
>> Groovy is only a dynamic language. I think it's a problem because
>> it's not, and some people really dislike dynamic languages. When they read
>> something like "the Groovy dynamic object-oriented programming language"
>> (from the Apache blog post)
>> may not realize that it's much more than that (it was only dynamic a few
>> years ago, but it has evolved a lot, and now a static language as much as
>> it is a dynamic one). So I would lean towards rephrasing the first paragraph
>> of the proposal from "It is a primarily dynamic language with features
>> similar to those of Python, Ruby, Perl, and Smalltalk."
>> to "It is a programming language with features similar to those of Python,
>> Ruby, Java, Perl, and Smalltalk."
>> And if possible, everything we see "dynamic programming language", remove
>> the mention to "dynamic" to just "programming language". What do you think?
>> It's not that I don't like the dynamic
>> programming aspects of Groovy of course, but I think we should not cut off
>> part of our user base just by making erroneous statements.
> Sure. That looks good to me. That being said -- what's written on the proposal
> is only important to the IPMC so I don't think it'll be a huge change in outside
> perception one way or another.
In fact, my reaction comes from the fact that I am reading many press
articles where we read "the Groovy dynamic language" or variants.
And since this is written in the Apache Blog itself[1] and the proposal
[2] we cannot really blame them. Marketing-wise, looks like a bad move :)

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/groovy_submitted_to_become_a
[2] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GroovyProposal

--
Cédric Champeau