incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julian Tenney <Julian.Ten...@nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject RE: GPL Code in GitHub
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:47:44 GMT
OK, we are Xerte Project, we make multimedia authoring tools for educators - it's a successful
project. Last year we decided we wanted to transition stewardship of the software from University
of Nottingham, where I work, to a foundation. We are working through the incubation process
at the Apereo Foundation. We considered Apache as well, but Apereo is a better fit for our
community as it is based in and around Higher Education. Apereo basically takes it steer from
Apache though. I continue to lurk here as I think it is a really good source of best practice
for us. I had some conversation with Marvin about it about a year ago. Despite not ending
up as an Apache project, I consider Apache the source of 'the way', and have tried to take
as much as possible from that. It's been really useful: this is a much bigger community than
the Apereo one.

Our software is basically php / javascript. This particular thing is saml, which one of the
developers has used to add in some functionlity to make the software work in some slightly
different contexts to the usual ones, specifically I think, to allow single sign on from other
systems.

Thanks again.
From: Stian Soiland-Reyes [stain@apache.org]
Sent: 04 March 2015 17:26
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: GPL Code in GitHub

In *github* you should not be worried about GPL code. In git.apache.org you
should. (Apache's git repos are mirrored back again to github.com/apache
but that is another matter)

Apologies for not knowing your context..

If you are staging the github repos to move them into Apache, then I would
remove any GPL-using code first to new repos, or (less disruptive) set up
intermediate forks that you clean up and then stage to git.apache.

Just to check: You don't have any code/binary that is GPL *in your git
repository* which you don't have the right to relicense to Apache (under
the Software Grant), right?  That could complicate things slightly.