incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julian Tenney <Julian.Ten...@nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject RE: GPL Code in GitHub
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2015 16:32:20 GMT
Thanks to everyone for their contributions. The key uncertainty is whether GPL code in the
github is problematic, and the answer is 'yes'.

I wrote the following back to our own lists:
"The whole reason to do Apache license is to make it super-crystal clear that this code is
absolutely fine for whatever re-use you want to make of it, and GPL is definitely not even
the merest inkling of a problem for you. That would be undermined if we had a repo with GPL
code in it."

Cheers.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stian Soiland-Reyes [mailto:stain@apache.org]
Sent: 04 March 2015 15:45
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: GPL Code in GitHub

Releases explained here:

https://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

Basically putting into git/svn is not a release - but as anyone (practically any committer)
can propose a release candidate for voting based on the code in the source code repository,
it should still be code that is distributable under the Apache License.

On 4 March 2015 at 15:29, Julian Tenney <Julian.Tenney@nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
>> The following should help the developer understand why we can't accept GPL code in
Apache projects:

> The question is more about when does 'distribution' happen? When you put something in
your github? Or when you make a release and the files associated with that release?

Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718