incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "-incubator" in versions of podling maven artifacts
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 09:01:15 GMT
When you say break, do you mean some software is unable to compare version
numbers correctly, or that we don't comply with the text of
http://semver.org ?

> A pre-release version MAY be denoted by appending a hyphen and a series
of dot separated identifiers immediately following the patch version.
Identifiers MUST comprise only ASCII alphanumerics and hyphen [0-9A-Za-z-].
Identifiers MUST NOT be empty. Numeric identifiers MUST NOT include leading
zeroes. Pre-release versions have a lower precedence than the associated
normal version. A pre-release version indicates that the version is
unstable and might not satisfy the intended compatibility requirements as
denoted by its associated normal version. Examples: 1.0.0-alpha,
1.0.0-alpha.1, 1.0.0-0.3.7, 1.0.0-x.7.z.92.

An incubator release is a kind of pre-release - community wise. But perhaps
you mean this is not ideal for mature projects who were codewise stable
before joining the incubator?