incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julien Le Dem <jul...@ledem.net>
Subject "-incubator" in versions of podling maven artifacts
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2015 23:25:21 GMT
Hi Incubator,
I'd like some context about the requirement of adding -incubating in the file name of podling
releases.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release-java.html#best-practice-maven

It seems we require adding -incubating in the version for maven artifacts which breaks Semantic
versioning as hyphen is used for pre-releases.
It is also confusing as we vote on a version number but that's not what we use as the artifact
version.
We are already publishing the source release in the incubator project and have incubating
in its file name as well as DISCLAIMER files.
So it seems to me that adding it in the maven artifact is a bit overkill.
Every release as to get through the vote of the IPMC anyway so it's not like podlings releases
are not vetted appropriately.

opinions from the IPMC?

Julien