incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2015 is coming
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 22:21:27 GMT
FYI in case this email hasn't reached you.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Google Summer of Code 2015 is coming
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 23:44:52 +0100
From: Ulrich Stärk <uli@apache.org>
To: mentors@community.apache.org

Hello PMCs (incubator Mentors, please forward this email to your podlings),

Google Summer of Code [1] is a program sponsored by Google allowing students to spend their
summer
working on open source software. Students will receive stipends for developing open source
software
full-time for three months. Projects will provide mentoring and project ideas, and in return
have
the chance to get new code developed and - most importantly - to identify and bring in new
committers.

The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual projects don't have
to apply
separately.

If you want to participate with your project we ask you to do the following things by no later
than

1. understand what it means to be a mentor [2].

2. record your project ideas.

Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2015, and they will show up at [3]. Please
be as
specific as possible when describing your idea. Include the programming language, the tools
and
skills required, but try not to scare potential students away. They are supposed to learn
what's
required before the program starts.

Use labels, e.g. for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang, python, brainfuck, ...)
or
technology area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...) and record them at [5].

Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording your ideas if your project doesn't use JIRA
(e.g.
httpd, ooo). Contact dev@community.apache.org if you need assistance.

[4] contains some additional information (will be updated for 2015 shortly).

3. subscribe to mentors@community.apache.org; restricted to potential mentors, meant to be
used as a
private list - general discussions on the public dev@community.apache.org list as much as
possible
please). Use a recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org or one of your alias addresses
on
record).

Note that the ASF isn't accepted as a participating organization yet, nevertheless you *have
to*
start recording your ideas now or we might not get accepted.

Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully. Some of our prior
students are active contributors now! Let's make this year a success again!

Cheers,

Uli

P.S.: Except for the private parts (label spreadsheet mostly), this email is free to be shared
publicly if you want to.

[1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015
[2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
[3] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2015ideas