incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: What is "The Apache Way"?
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 18:06:33 GMT
+1, I'll repeat one a little my previous mail and say "patches welcome" (as long as they keep
the document simple - remember, it's a signpost document not a discussion or detail document
- the discussion/detail documents should be linked from this one).

"http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html this document starts with "While not
all aspects of the Apache Way are practiced the same way by all projects at the ASF, there
are a number of rules and policies that Apache projects are required to follow – things
like complying with PMC release voting, legal policy, brand policy, using mailing lists, etc.,
which are documented in various places." (note the second sentence has 5 links, the rest of
the document has some explanatory text and copious links)."

Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, January 9, 2015 9:05 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: What is "The Apache Way"?

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, either a lot of us are really stupid, or the Foundation as a whole
> has a gap between the general principles and their application. No, we
> can't have a rule book that details every particle of how to run an
> Apache project, but apparently we could have  more concrete guidance.

The gap definitely exists.  What often leads to confusion is when folks think there's no gap,
that everything is clear-cut and certain, when it's not.  Different Apache projects are permitted
to operate differently, and the ill-defined line of what's acceptable moves over time.  This
is not entirely bad.  Fixed practices are hard to change, but the open-source software world
changes rapidly.  So maintaining some flexibility is important.

What we should try to do are document acceptable practices, those ways of operating that are
common in many projects and have worked well.
There may be multiple acceptable practices in a given area (e.g., CTR & RTC).  Projects
that diverge from these might still be acceptable, but they might also run into problems and
should proceed with caution.
Some might tell them that they "don't get the Apache Way", which is distressing, but, at the
end of the day, so long as the board doesn't vote to evict them from the foundation, they're
part of the Apache Way.  The board doesn't generally act without good notice.  Generally things
escalate from folks griping, to the board agreeing to monitor and advise a project, to the
board giving an ultimatum for a specific practice to stop, to the board finally taking some
action.

Doug