incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@me.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NiFI 0.0.1-incubating
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2015 04:33:17 GMT
Hi,

> Regarding the license/notice being different for binary vs. source releases if anyone
has
> pointers to examples of this that would be helpful.

As per [1] the source LICENSE should only mention what's bundled in the source bundle and
the binary LICENSE should only mention what's bundled in the binary release.

I think you have the content right (hence my +1)  just that there's no need to mention the
binary parts in the source release LICENSE. Having extra content in license is not as bad
than having missing licences.

I'd suggest (and it's only a suggestion) having two files (eg LICENSE.src and LICENSE.bin)
in version control and put in right one into each bundle (and rename to LICENSE) as part of
your release process. There are other approaches ie construct each LICENSE file from parts,
but this seems the simplest way to me.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle