incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: proposal: mentor re-boot
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 19:12:42 GMT

> On Jan 8, 2015, at 10:12 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I'm not seeing how this proposal fixes the problem either. However, I do like that this
proposal doesn't move responsibility and I like that it adds some teeth to the IPMC (e.g.
removal of inactive mentors and pausing of podlings with insufficient mentors - though I still
dispute ticking a box is hardly an indication of an active mentor)

The thinking is that a mentor is at least honest; a reasonable assumption.  If they claim
to have reviewed a release or board report then they can be trusted to have done so to the
best of their abilities.

The two mentor minimum rule addresses the possible unevenness in ernest mentors’ abilities.

There is no silver bullet but this proposal covers a lot of the perennial problems that the
Incubator seems run into without changing responsibilities; a nice incremental step.  It also
simplifies the roles that podlings need to grok.  Finally, it adds more impetus for PPMCs
to take ownership in their incubation.

Regards,
Alan