incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [pTLP] Apache Commons sub-mailing lists discussion
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2015 16:21:06 GMT
On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org> wrote:
> Relating to IncubatorV2 and pTLP proposals - on Apache Commons I seem
> to have spurred a discussion about making sub-mailing lists (And thus
> forming sub-communities) - but keep the formalities on the general
> list.
>
> (email below)
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201501.mbox/%3C23d5b03fc1cdb4079ceb52c55458f0e3%40scarlet.be%3E
>

> My slight concern (even though I would benefit from the proposal :))
> is that this is in danger of forming a "mini incubator" with less
> clear guidance and follow-up:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201501.mbox/%3CCAPRnXt%3DDwqk9p-b-yYBYRnrp%3DanvLgdTanMkenLfm6fGQgcHfw%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>

> The pTLP proposal has not mentioned what would be the process for
> projects with a sponsor different from Incubator (e.g. which don't
> aspire to become TLPs) - presumably they would usually have mentors
> from and report to the parent project?

Well, the idea of non-incubator sponsors seems to me to have been a
dead letter for years. As of now, the board's expectation is that all
incubating projects are supervised by the IPMC. While the proposal
template still has a slot for sponsor, it does not mean anything in
practice. It's the IPMC and only the IPMC that accepts new projects,
and then supervises them.

In the very remote case that my version of the pTLP proposal goes
anywhere, the board would, of course, have the option of passing a
resolution to establish a pTLP without prior vetting by the Incubator
Committee.

As for subcommunities, I reference the very complex process of a few
years back of _getting rid of_ 'umbrella projects.'