incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Software Grants for GitHub Projects...
Date Sat, 31 Jan 2015 15:43:12 GMT
On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 8:44 AM, James Carman
<james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> Is there a "standard" within the incubator about how we go about
> getting the appropriate forms filled out when we want to incubate a
> project from GitHub?  GitHub fosters a sort of fly-by contribution
> model (and that's a good thing), but it makes donating the code a bit
> troublesome, because we need to make sure that all (to a certain
> degree?) of the contributors do, in fact want to donate the code they
> contributed to the foundation.

Simple answer: no. It is up to you to get ICLA/CCLA/SGA as appropriate
for all contributors based on the usual considerations of contribution
size, copyright ownership, and provenance clarity. if you have some
stray commits that you can't cover, you can either reimplement, or
make an argument that are below the threshold of concern. The github
metadata helps a bit, but since you have no guarantee that the
committer is the author, there's no possible way to see this as
automated. The fact that code is published under the AL does _not_
make it automatically code that you can pull in no matter what else.
We require a positive intent to contribute the code to the foundation.