incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Podlings should be in charge of their mentors (was: Incubator report sign-off)
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 17:14:45 GMT
Hi,

I'm resending Alan's proposal with a new subject as I think it
deserves more attention.

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> ...Podlings would be required to have a minimum of two active mentors.  A mentor is free
to become inactive
> but must explicitly state this else the mentor risks being removed for not performing
their duties.  Podlings that
> do not have the minimum of two active mentors are put on hold until they find enough
mentors to fill the quota.
> Being put on hold means that no committers can be added, no PPMC members can be added,
and no
> releases can be performed.  It does not stop development...

I like it very much...it's a small, reversible step that puts the
burden on podlings and mentors, which are the ones who should be
concerned about podlings going forward.

It's also consistent with podlings having to find mentors to join the
Incubator - they just have to keep on making sure their mentors are
active, or ask for new ones when needed.

As for measuring the mentors activity, I suggest simply adding a
question to the podling reports, "who are your two active mentors and
are you happy with their activity" along with requiring report
sign-off from those two mentors.

-Bertrand