incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: What is "The Apache Way"?
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2015 20:28:09 GMT
On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 9:37 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
> <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:

>> Perhaps it is time we hired a contractor to draw up the one document of truth?
>>
>> I'm working on the 2015 budget now. Any volunteers to own this? Ownership
>> is ensuring that the individual gets access to all the appropriate VPs and
>> that those VPs are able to provide the necessary input.
>
> I think Marvin could manage this well (yes, this is me pushing you in
> front of the bus, Marvin. My apologies).

I would pour my heart and soul into such a role.  I would give everything I
have to coordinate the delivery of minimalist authoritative documentation
worthy of Apache's traditions.  It would be a huge contribution to open source
software, lightening the load for hundreds of projects and thousands of
developers.

For the record, I have doubts about structuring it as a contract position.
This is an editing task, and what I have observed in the past is that VPs have
sometimes created policy documents which the Board felt were too expansive.
It seems odd to budget for a process of potentially open-ended negotiation.
Simply assigning this task, connoting Board endorsement of the concept, is
enough for me.

Bertrand cares deeply about these issues and has been working on them for a
long time (<http://s.apache.org/JNH>).  Recently, he has been occupied with
a "maturity model" initiative (<http://s.apache.org/apache_maturity_model>)
close in spirit to Shane's work on project requirements .  Drawing on
resources like Bertrand and Shane, I am confident that we can hammer out a
top-level requirements document which would be complete, authentic enough to
satisfy Jim, yet spartan enough to satisfy skeptics like Doug.

If the Board is willing to commission such a document, I will make it happen.
And I would be delighted to work with our VPs at the Board's request to refine
project requirement documentation for their separate areas.

Please assign me this task.

Marvin Humphrey