incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: my pTLP view
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2015 01:42:14 GMT
I find the direction this discussion has gone personally disappointing, but
I might be missing understanding of some crucial point.

> 2. the initial PMC is comprised of only ASF Members. committers can be
​> ​
chosen however the community decides. but the *project* is reviewed by
​> people with (hopefully/theoretically) experience with the Foundation and
> its views on communities

So should I take my successful project and community to Apache, the first
thing that happens is the foundation creates a Project Management Committee
out of the membership, not the incoming community. This might be fine for
new projects made up of familiar faces, but not where there is new blood.
Those of us in such a new incoming community might get the commit bit but
can't vote on adding committers, or making releases. We don't have a
binding vote on our own committership / fate / ability to manage our own
sources. This situation is primed for mistrust, conflict, and heartache the
second the members and the incoming community disagree about some
substantial aspect of the project direction. The incoming community is
disempowered and has no recourse but to go along with the outcome of Apache
politics or abandon the project. As a responsible steward of my community,
I would never consider bringing my project to Apache under these
circumstances.

This may also increase the risk a project is coming here due to an
excessive fascination with the Apache brand, because otherwise the bargain
seems poor (in my view).

--
Best regards,

   - Andy