incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: What is "The Apache Way"?
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:50:03 GMT
The archive is the mailing list archives and issue trackers.

If an authoritative answer is required then we have VPs who are empowered to make operational
decisions relating to policy and a Board empowered to make community decisions (and oversee
the operational side). As you say, we try not to have a top down approach, but sometimes it
is necessary.

Ross

Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 9:12 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: What is "The Apache Way"?

On 1/16/15, 6:10 AM, "Rich Bowen" <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

>Yes, with all of my various hats, I heartily endorse this task. You're
>right, this would be of great value both inside and outside of Apache.

I’m definitely eager to see what Marvin can do here.

I’ve been wondering though: any top-level policy document cannot fully specify all human
behavior.  IMO, that’s why governing bodies have authority figures who make judgement calls.
 The US has a judicial system, the game of golf has a group of folks who make decisions.
Is it the various VP’s that get to be the judge?

I’ve often thought about golf when following Apache policy threads.  Golf has a reasonably
detailed rule book but they realize that there are lots of edge cases in real life and the
rule book would be unwieldy if it tried to specify everything.  So the rule book tries to
carefully specify general principles and is rarely changed.  Then there is a whole archive
of decisions associated with each rule where this group of folks records decisions made.
Is it reasonable to do something like this at Apache?
Apache Legal seems to already have something like this.  There are legal policy docs, then
the legal-resolved page.

One of the questions I often have when using legal-discuss is whether the answer I’m getting
is authoritative or not.  I know folks are leery about establishing a tier of folks who can
authoritatively make the judgement calls, but maybe we have to have that so that folks know
when they are getting an official answer vs the opinions of other community members.  To become
a golf rules official you have to pass a test.  And to get on the board of official golf decision
makers is a much harder task.  Maybe we need a test in order to be an Apache Way Rules Official.

-Alex