incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: proposal: mentor re-boot
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 18:16:53 GMT
Chip is correct. The tools we use in board meetings make it easy for us to see how many PMC
members in a TLP resolution are members. If there are not enough we will sometimes put the
project on an informal "watch list" (as well as ensuring appropriate people from the PMC go
on the members watch list), occasionally we bounce the proposal back (this is pretty rare).

With my Directors hat on I don't want a member being there just for mentoring, it confuses
the evaluation since that person will appear as a committed PMC member but will in fact be
nothing more than a mentor. What is important is that the PMC knows where to go for help when
they are unsure of something. That expertise can (and should be) be present without a mentor
or a Member on the PMC.

Ross

Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chipchilders@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:42 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: proposal: mentor re-boot

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 05:20:40PM -0800, Henry Saputra wrote:
> +1
>
> I would recommend to remove that particular line about mentor staying
> as mentor sake.
> Either mentors join in as full fledge PMC (and as committer) or not at all.

+1, with the one comment that I've heard the board(s) review a list of
initial PMC members to be sure that they believe there is enough experience within the PMC
(typically by seeing if there are mentors and / or ASF members).

IMO, this is likely a bit of a backstop in situations where a TLP would otherwise be an island.