incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Next steps for various proposals (mentor re-boot, pTLP, etc.)
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2015 22:51:52 GMT

> On Jan 14, 2015, at 8:48 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> at this point we have had a few lively threads
> discussing three somewhat different proposals:
>   #1 mentor re-boot
>   #2 pTLP
>   #3 Ross's strawman http://s.apache.org/8eS
> it feels to me that all three need additional work
> to be done before we can have any reasonable
> consensus around them (let alone voting).
>
> Wearing my chair hat, I would like to suggest that
> the next step should be: for each proposal we identify
> points that are going to block consensus (AKA would
> result in -1 vote if it comes to a vote). I suggest we
> do it on the wiki pages themselves (I'll wikify Ross's
> proposal tonight). Not editing the wikis but simply
> collecting this feedback as the last section in each
> proposal. The idea would be to identify all such
> points in a week or so.
>
> Sounds good?

Another, or complementary, way this could be done is to work out the pros and cons on a spreadsheet.
 This would not take the place of a vote, but would provide some useful insight into the opinions
that the community has with regards to various aspects of each proposal.

http://s.apache.org/reboot <http://s.apache.org/reboot>

People who wish to contribute their opinions can send an email to adc at apache dot org and
I will add them to the list of editors.

There is a Pros tab.  Here people can add columns that represent an advantageous aspect that
a proposal should cause.  It doesn’t have to apply to all, or any, of the existing proposals.
 There is no limit to the number of advantages aspects added to this tab.  Each row in this
spreadsheet, this tab specifically, is for each person to indicate using 0-5 how important
they feel that particular advantageous aspects are to solving the Incubator’s “woes”.

There is a Cons tab. Here people can add columns that represent an disadvantageous aspect
that a proposal could cause.  It doesn’t have to apply to all, or any, of the existing proposals.
 There is no limit to the number of disadvantageous aspects added to this tab.  Each row in
this spreadsheet, this tab specifically, is for each person to indicate using 0-5 how relevant
they feel that particular disadvantageous aspects are to solving the Incubator’s “woes”.

The above two tabs will represent what the community thinks are good things and bad things
to do for the Incubator.

Then for each proposal there is a corresponding Pros and Cons tab.  These are for people to
indicate how strongly they feel that certain advantageous or disadvantageous aspects apply
to specific proposals using 0-5.

All of this data bubbles up to the summary tab.

Regards,
Alan