incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 16:59:39 GMT

On Jan 5, 2015, at 8:22 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 5:05 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Dec 22, 2014, at 8:42 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>   1. get rid of IPMC altogether and move to the pTLP model
>>
>> This is effectively an IPMC reboot.  I don’t really see anything substantially
different.

> At this point, I'm convinced this is the only fruitful path forward,
> the rest is a shell game with responsibility. See the other thread.
>
>>>   3. patch the current process with starting to drop the mentors from
>>>       the project who don't sign off. This will essentially serve
>>>       as a heartbeat for mentors (now, in my opinion it'll quickly
>>>      deteriorate into mindless tick-offs -- but at least it does not harm).
>>
>> How is it that a mentor became an IPMC member and do such an unethical thing such
as a mindless tick-off?

> We're talking about human being here. The one who never
> ever cut corners in his life can cast the first stone.

I think that you misunderstood my rhetorical question.  It is my experience/understanding
that if a mentor makes an effort to review reports/releases then this mentor is actually doing
a good job at it.  It is my experience/understanding that the overwhelming problem is that
mentors simply go MIA and do nothing at all.

I am in favor of #3 since it holds mentors accountable.  #1 is simply a washing of our hands
and pawning the problem off on the board simple because some of us are unwilling to do uncomfortable
things.

Regards,
Alan