incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: proposal: mentor re-boot
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 16:47:13 GMT

On Jan 9, 2015, at 1:35 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 3:31 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>> ...I think the IPMC is doing almost all of the above better. Everything except for
"Failed". I think that
>> now we are blaming the mentor. Let's get over it. Not every podling will work....
>
> That's distinct concerns IMO: some podlings are failing and no mentor
> can save them, but there are also podlings that would be doing better
> if they had sufficiently active mentors.

And that depends on mentors who are sufficiently interested with enough time and also the
type of mentoring required. Maybe it is community help or it could be release help.

> Also, from the point of view of oversight, the IPMC needs a way to
> find out how podlings are doing, and that's delegated to mentors.
> Failing that, poor IPMC volunteers have to step up and that gets
> boring over time.

So we have Shepherds as delegates from the IPMC to take a look every so often. It is a Role
that is more like a scout. We've had Shepherds report Mentor issues, Release issues, Community
issues.

Regards,
Dave