incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Votes for git repos - commit id vs tag
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:25:18 GMT
On 23 December 2014 at 09:27, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> ...Although many consider it best practice for release tarballs to be tied back
>> to a specific version control identifier (including me), Apache release policy
>> does not require it....
>
> As we tried to say above, the timeline gets into play here.
>
> Tying releases to version control is very useful *in the short term*
> for people to verify the release, but in the long term you cannot
> count on it. That's why our release policy centers on tarballs, the
> rest is convenience.

I'm not sure it's feasible to verify that all the source files in a
release have the correct license without reference to version control.

Also provenance of source files is extremely important.

If there is ever a question as to how a particular source file came to
be included in a release, then being able to trace the release tarball
back to the vote thread and thence to version control could be vital.

As far as consumers are concerned, it is the release tarball that is important.
But as far as the ASF is concerned, ISTM that being able to trace
provenance back to version control is at least as important.