incubator-general mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: P. An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 21:12:19 GMT
On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> I was wondering... What we *REALLY* want are projects
> that are interested more in The Apache Way than in the
> Apache Brand. We need to make it more clear, somehow,
> that new projects want to enter the ASF because they
> approve of, and want to follow, the *how* of creating
> projects and communities. Lately, it appears, that we
> have graduated projects which are more interested in
> simply being able to add 'Apache' to their name, and
> then deride/minimize/ignore/dispute most/all of the
> aspects of The Apache Way which is what made the Apache
> brand so valuable and noteworthy.
>
> Maybe we need to change the proposal guide.

This wasn't well-received 4.5 years ago[1] :/  I still think it's a
more valuable question than the "brand" one - which is likely what
brought them here in the first place.  Good luck...

--tim

[1] - http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201005.mbox/%3CAANLkTikxHpvPaqHeQNA02ptmiX8lqWwjQznBAY9lCLYI@mail.gmail.com%3E