incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Votes for git repos - commit id vs tag
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:07:40 GMT
On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> ...Releases are the tarball(s) prepared by the release manager, not a pointer
> into the source control system....

Agreed. I also agree with Brane about the pointer into source code
control system being useful for PMC members to check that the released
code is what they expect, but as you say long-term it's only the
signed release tarball that matters.

> ...So, to make this clear to the community, I would discourage to publish the
> commit ID in the vote request, and only provide the URL link to the
> tarball(s)....

The way we work in Sling is that the tarball's name points to a
well-known svn tag URL. This matches your idea of having the commit ID
or equivalent somewhere else, but easily accessible. I like that.

OTOH I also like to include the tarball archive's digest (sha1 or
equivalent) in the archived vote thread as that's a long term (*)
guarantee that what you got is what was voted on.

-Bertrand

(*) As long as the digest algorithm is not broken, that is.