incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Running an experiment with pTLP
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2014 20:07:56 GMT
I don't want to fan flames or point fingers, but at the same time I need to say this. Please
read it as being intended to be constructive...

This whole pTLP thing is not new. We conducted an experiment like the one proposed below some
time ago. The outcome of that experiment was supposed to be a proposal to the board from the
IPMC about how to create and manage pTLP's at scale.

At the start of that experiment I (as Champion) spent a long time collating the various views
on the proposal. I provided this as summary email at the start of the podlings life. I believed
this was a really good start for whoever was going to turn it into a full proposal. It might
be useful here also. NOTE - I'm not naming the podling or mentors to minimize the chance of
people feeling that I'm finger pointing in the following paragraphs - there are plenty of
folks around who will have that email in their archives.

Unfortunately the experiment did not go well.

No proposal was received and, more importantly, as champion (but not a mentor) for the project
in question I was asked to step in on three separate occasion. This was despite, or perhaps
because of, there being some very old hands in the podling committer list.

My point today is just the same as it was when this was discussed the first time around. This
proposal simply moves the problem (projects lacking in appropriate mentorship) to someone
else's doorstep. It does not solve the problem itself.

To be clear, I have no intention of voting against the proposed experiment. I do want to see
the experiment take place (just as I did the first time around) but we need to ensure we are
not simply moving the oversight role - that is not the problem that needs solving.

Ross