incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Process over Ego [Was: Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2014 20:12:38 GMT
Inviting those people to become members is a good idea (and in fact was agreed a long time
ago when we brought the first non-members into the IPMC). I think we have a number of members
now who started out as IPMC members. It is clear (at least to me) that anyone who proves themselves
to be a good mentor should be a Member.

However, you can't "promote" people to ComDev. ComDev is a project like any other. If folks
want to show up there and do work they will be welcomed like any other volunteer. However,
we can't assume that people signing up to the IPMC are also interested in the work ComDev
do. At this time ComDev is *not* responsible for incubation processes, the IPMC is.

Of course what ComDev does is dependent on who shows up there to help. The idea of moving
incubation to ComDev has been discussed many times (or more accurately the maintenance of
the incubation process and docs). However, to date nobody has joined ComDev to make it happen
and the existing ComDev team signed up for a different purpose.

As for the board "ignoring the problem" it should be understood the board have delegated the
incubation process to the IPMC. It is the IPMC that need to solve the problem - not the board.
However, lets not pretend the board are "ignoring" things. Take a look at who it is that brings
this up every x months. It's always the board.

Now, if the current chair and the IPMC really feels that disbanding the IPMC is the right
solution then submit a resolution to do so. That will make it a board problem, until then
it is an IPMC problem.

Ross