incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Recommend retirement for NPanday poddling
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 22:10:07 GMT
That's all good and I'm certainly not suggesting it’s the wrong thing to do (nor do I believe
that was Bertrands opinion - he did say "for now").

It's just that it should be a decision of the podling, not the IPMC. If the podling doesn't
agree then the IPMC might decide to go ahead anyway.

Thanks, for the background.

In answer to your question about what the email states, I suggest something like this:

HI NPandy folks,

Is there any real chance of this podling building momentum and becoming a viable Apache project?

XXX and YYY, your mentors, have indicated to the IPMC that they believe this is unlikely to
happen and have recommended retirement of the podling.

Unless there is a compelling reason not to do this then I (as IMPC chair) will action this
recommendation. If there is a strong case then nows the chance to make it.

-----Original Message-----
From: shaposhnik@gmail.com [mailto:shaposhnik@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Roman Shaposhnik
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:01 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Recommend retirement for NPanday poddling

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Mentors should raise the issue with the podling. If the mentors are
> absent then maybe the problem doesn't lie with the podling but with our handling of it.

The only active mentors left on the project seem to be of an opinion that retiring is the
best option at this point. I will let them comment themselves, so I don't have to put words
in their mouths, though.

> A VOTE should be a formality used on the few occasions where our
> bye-laws require them. It certainly should not, IMHO, be a stick to
> wave in front of a struggling podling community (which I appreciate is
> not the intention but it does look that way).

The community was given plenty of chances and plenty of help was provided to it (see my summary
at the beginning of the thread). The community has between 1-2 active mentor (Konstantin/Brett)
. The problem is that it doesn't have anything else.

This is actually part of the reason I don't see a point of sending email to their list, until
we have something concrete we can communicate to them.

That said -- emails are cheap, but let me ask you this, what should this email state? What
should it ask?

Thanks,
Roman.