incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 18:45:05 GMT
There are honorary and practical reasons why a project may view the PMC Chair and the project
leader as one in the same.

Honorary: The community elevated one member as lead and assigned the Chair role out of respect.

Practical: The PMC Chair has the power to dissolve the PMC, and is an officer of the Foundation.
Nobody else on the project has such power nor indemnification. "Secretary" as a term does
not adequately encompass that.

> On Dec 29, 2014, at 6:46 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

> On 12/23/2014 03:34 PM, sebb wrote:
>>> Flex had three great mentors, but to expect them to be the PMC Chair on

>> The job of the PMC chair is almost entirely administrative.
>> They are the link between the board and the PMC and their main role is
>> to ensure the board gets timely reports and to feed back comments from
>> the board.
>>
>> If a PMC is relying on the chair to drive it forward technically, then
>> I think something has gone wrong with the PMC.
>>

> Indeed. Big +1 on this.
>
> There are some projects that I've been watching lately where the PMC chair is viewed
as the project lead, and that has a number of problems that go along with it. The PMC chair
is a secretary, whose job is to file the right paperwork. A *hugely* important role, but not
a technical lead role.