incubator-general mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] TinkerPop: A Graph Computing Framework
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:14:34 GMT
This is awesome.

I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

-Taylor

> On Dec 17, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Marko Rodriguez <okrammarko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> My name is Marko A. Rodriguez and am a co-founder of TinkerPop (http://tinkerpop.com).
There has been positive pressure on us (both internally and externally) to move TinkerPop
to The Apache Foundation. This email contains our proposal and I, on behalf of TinkerPop,
thank you for spending your time reading it.

> Take care,
> Marko.
>
> http://markorodriguez.com
>
> ------------------------------------
>

> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
>
> A. Abstract
>
> TinkerPop is a graph computing framework written in Java -- http://tinkerpop.com. TinkerPop
started in 2009 and is currently in the milestone series of 3.0.0.  Graph system vendors such
as in-memory graph libraries, OLTP graph databases, and OLAP graph processors can provide
a TinkerPop implementation (http://markorodriguez.com/2013/01/09/on-graph-computing/). Once
the core TinkerPop interfaces are implemented, the underlying graph system can be queried
using the graph traversal language Gremlin. TinkerPop was designed to be used at any scale
and as such, can be leveraged by both single-server and multi-machine compute clusters. For
many, TinkerPop is seen as the JDBC of the graph computing community (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Database_Connectivity).

> B. Proposal
>
> Since its inception in 2009, TinkerPop has been open source, free to use. Initially the
license was BSD, but as of TinkerPop3, the license is Apache2. The TinkerPop team is composed
of developers as well as representatives from numerous graph system vendors (http://www.tinkerpop.com/docs/3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/#tinkerpop-contributors).
TinkerPop has done its best to remain vendor agnostic and works closely with vendors to ensure
that the constructs within TinkerPop are able to accommodate the requirements of the underlying
graph system. To date, over 12 graph system vendors provide TinkerPop implementations. We
believe that by joining The Apache Foundation, our vendors, users, and contributors will feel
more comfortable in terms of legal protected, in terms of wider-adoption, and in terms of
project stability.

> C. Background
>
> TinkerPop was founded in 2009 and has had steady, active development since. Over the
years, the Gremlin query language within TinkerPop has been adopted by various JVM languages
and as such, there exists Gremlin-Groovy, Gremlin-Scala, Gremlin-Clojure, Gremlin-JavaScript,
and the like. In many ways, Gremlin is seen as a traversal language style that can be readily
adopted by developers --- on and off the JVM. TinkerPop is not bound to the JVM in that developers
wishing to interact with a TinkerPop-enabled graph system can leverage Gremlin Server which
provides "over the wire" communication as well as the entry point for non-JVM language bindings.
TinkerPop is being used is production graph-based applications around the world and is only
getting better with age.

> D. Rationale
>
> The graph computing space has grown over the years to encompass numerous graph database
and graph processing systems. TinkerPop was created as a unifying framework for interoperability,
language standardization, and data model standardization.  This framework makes it simple
to "plug and play" the back-end graph implementation without affecting the developer's code.
This is analogous to the way in which JDBC allows users to swap relational databases while
keeping the same programming interface. TinkerPop also brings together OLTP systems (graph
databases) and OLAP systems (graph processors) by providing a single query language, Gremlin,
for executing graph algorithms transparently over either type of system.  Finally, TinkerPop
unifies single-machine systems and distributed systems, presenting an identical user experience
within the boundaries of the computational space and time constraints of the underlying graph
system.

> E. Initial Goals
>
> The goal of this proposal is to migrate TinkerPop to The Apache Foundation to 1.) get
more exposure to the project and 2.) legally protect the developers and contributors of TinkerPop.

> F. Current Status
>
> TinkerPop is planning to release TinkerPop 3.0.0.GA early 2015 -- January or February.
We would like to release TinkerPop 3.0.0.GA under The Apache Foundation.

> G. Meritocracy
>
> Anyone is welcome to join TinkerPop as a contributor. If an individual provides successful
code updates, documentation updates, etc. then they are asked to join TinkerPop contributors.
Once inside TinkerPop, they are able to voice their opinions/thoughts on the direction of
the project. Moreover, TinkerPop actively seeks vendors who leverage TinkerPop in their offering
to place a representative on TinkerPop contributors who can speak on behalf of their organization
as it relates to the requirements of their graph system. Every year or so, we list inactive
members and request their permission to purge them from TinkerPop contributors. In this way,
we try and keep the TinkerPop contributors to the most active, participating members.

> H. Community
>
> There are 25 TinkerPop contributors which, of those, 12 are representatives from the
various graph system vendors in the market today. The TinkerPop mailing list has over 1500+
subscribers with a flow of approximately 10 emails a day
> (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gremlin-users).
>
> I. Core developers
>
> The primary developers are Marko A. Rodriguez (http://markorodriguez.com) and Stephen
Mallette (http://stephen.genoprime.com/). Over the years, numerous individuals have come and
gone from TinkerPop. Other significant contributors include Peter Neubauer, Joshua Shinavier,
James Thornton, Matthias Bröcheler, Daniel Kuppitz, Bryn Cooke, and others. Note that there
are numerous individuals that participate in the TinkerPop ecosystem by providing language
bindings and system implementations. While not contributing to the core codebase per se, they
support TinkerPop via their software and lecture outreach.

> J. Alignment
>
> TinkerPop is licensed Apache2. The OLAP reference implementation that distributes with
TinkerPop is based on Hadoop (http://hadoop.apache.org) and Giraph (http://giraph.apache.org).
There has been a push from vendors and commercial organizations interested in ensuring TinkerPop
has the legal support of a software foundation. We believe The Apache Foundation to be a great
home for TinkerPop.

> K. Known Risks & Abandoned projects
>
> TinkerPop is currently at TinkerPop 3.0.0.M6. By joining The Apache Foundation, there
is a significant amount of code and time that has passed since TinkerPop's inception. However,
we have done our best to secure CLAs from contributors and have never gotten into a legal
or political issue.

> L. Inexperience with Open Source
>
> The primary developers of TinkerPop have been providing TinkerPop source and releases
open source and in full public view since 2009 via both our GitHub repository and our public
mailing lists. We pride ourselves in professional software, documentation, and aesthetics.
With its integration to numerous graph systems in the market, TinkerPop is truly a masterpiece
in a open source technology --- working with both open source and commercial entities to ensure
a solid, respected project.

> M. Homogeneous Developers
>
> The contributors to TinkerPop run the full gamut of software engineering expertise. From
low-level data serialization to high-level server interactions, TinkerPop has contributors
able to work at the requisite level. The codebase is complex as it deals with numerous area
of software engineering including: distributed computing, open standards, language bindings,
query language compilers, OLTP databases, OLAP processors, etc. Over the years, we have gathered
a significant level of talent and as a whole, have all grown as engineers.

> N. Reliance on Salaried Developers
>
> TinkerPop is open source and no individual is paid for their contributions except for
our logo designer. All the logos and documentation graphics are released Apache2.

> O. Relationships with Other Apache Projects
>
> TinkerPop currently leverages Hadoop, Giraph, and in the near future, will integrate
with Spark. Internally, the project leverages Maven3, Apache Configuration, and Apache Commons.

> P. An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
>
> TinkerPop is primarily interested in The Apache Foundation for the legal support and
protection it can offer our developers and users. Numerous large software organizations have
urged TinkerPop to join a foundation so that they may more easily provide contributors from
their organization and moreover, maintain confidence in building products atop TinkerPop.
With that said, TinkerPop does respect The Apache Foundation brand and believes that by joining
The Apache Foundation, we will further boost the recognition and prestige of our product.
Finally, note that a TinkerPop book is slated for 2015 (http://www.tinkerpopbook.com/). Combining
The Apache Foundation and a long awaited book should ensure a new uptake of contributors,
users, and promoters.

> Q. Documentation
>
> TinkerPop takes pride in its documentation:
> 	AsciiDoc: http://www.tinkerpop.com/docs/3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/
> 	JavaDoc (core): http://www.tinkerpop.com/javadocs/3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/core/
> 	JavaDoc (full): http://www.tinkerpop.com/javadocs/3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/full/
>
> R. Initial Source
>
> TinkerPop is currently hosted on GitHub.
> 	https://github.com/tinkerpop/tinkerpop3
>
> S. Source & Intellectual Property Submission Plan
>
> There are no known claims to violations of intellectual property.
>
> T. External Dependencies
>
> TinkerPop relies on open source and commercial vendors. We maintain representatives from
the various graph system projects on TinkerPop contributors. These vendors, in turn, provide
TinkerPop adaptors to their technology and in fact, some of them provide TinkerPop as the
sole interface to their system.

> U. Cryptography
>
> None.
>
> V. Required Resources
>
> The only resource we see moving forward and if Apache wishes, is to fund our logo designer
when we need a logo. We currently spend about $500 a year on logos. Please look through our
documentation to see how much we love giving character to our work. If this is not something
that Apache can do, then we will continue funding the creation of our artwork as we have done
in the past.

to join The Apache Foundation. The vendors that support TinkerPop are listed here: http://www.tinkerpop.com/docs/3.0.0.M6/#_graph_vendors