incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 19:51:14 GMT

On 12/29/2014 01:45 PM, Andrew Purtell wrote:
> There are honorary and practical reasons why a project may view the PMC Chair and the
project leader as one in the same.

> Honorary: The community elevated one member as lead and assigned the Chair role out of
respect.

> Practical: The PMC Chair has the power to dissolve the PMC, and is an officer of the
Foundation. Nobody else on the project has such power nor indemnification. "Secretary" as
a term does not adequately encompass that.

That's all well and good, however:

1) I'm not aware of even a single time that the PMC chair has actually
unilaterally dissolved the PMC, and I think the board would have serious
objections if that were to actually happen, as it would indicate pretty
serious community failure.

2) ASF projects don't have project leads. Sure, a project may, at one
time or another, have a person that is clearly at the forefront of
decision making, but to designate them a project lead indicates
dysfunction in a collaboration-based structure.

This seems a tad of a diversion from the topic, but definitely worth
mentioning.

>>> The job of the PMC chair is almost entirely administrative.
>>> They are the link between the board and the PMC and their main role is
>>> to ensure the board gets timely reports and to feed back comments from
>>> the board.
>>>
>>> If a PMC is relying on the chair to drive it forward technically, then
>>> I think something has gone wrong with the PMC.
>>>

>> Indeed. Big +1 on this.
>>
>> There are some projects that I've been watching lately where the PMC chair is viewed
as the project lead, and that has a number of problems that go along with it. The PMC chair
is a secretary, whose job is to file the right paperwork. A *hugely* important role, but not
a technical lead role.