incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 14:11:29 GMT

On 12/19/2014 02:00 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> Strawman:
>
> What if a mentor is *required* to be an active participant of the project. That is contributing
code, voting on releases and generally engaging with the community, they would be a better
mentor since they have a vested interest in the project itself. Sure, we might reduce the
number of projects coming into the foundation but (IMHO) that is not a problem. Our goal as
a foundation is not to be large, it is to be high quality.

The role of the Mentor is to coach the project into the Apache
philosophy, not to guide the technical progress of the project.
Requiring that they contribute code eliminates almost anyone that could
participate on *most* of the projects that have come to the ASF in
recent years, because almost all of them have been composed primarily of
"outsiders". Is that seen as a problem?

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon