incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ryan Blue <b...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Votes for git repos - commit id vs tag
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2014 20:22:46 GMT
On 12/18/2014 05:58 AM, John D. Ament wrote:
> All,
>
> I was looking through the incubator site and I don't see anything definite.
>
> Whenever a podling goes for a vote, and they include a git tag in their
> vote message, it's typically asked to change to a commit id.  It seems to
> me this is done for the reproducible builds concept.  Tags are mutable, and
> therefore could be changed and rebuilding a tag could give you a different
> result.
>
> So, is this the right understanding? Do we want to ask podlings to always
> submit a git commit id?  If so, is there a place in the website we can
> clarify this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

I recently found this confusing with the first parquet-format release. I
thought that both commit id and tag were optional, given that the actual
release candidate is a signed tarball (actually, the "necessary source
code to build the project" [1]).

We can't necessarily recover the commit id from the tarball because the
parent information is lost [2], so requiring the commit id is only
useful for convenience and validating that a new tarball from git at the
commit id matches the vote tarball. Is this validation done? Is it a
requirement?

If it isn't a requirement for a commit to match what is being voted on,
then does it matter whether we use a tag for convenience or a commit id?

We could also accept signed tags, though I don't know if there are
issues that would prevent it.

rb

[1]: https://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#valid
[2]: Unless using `git archive`: http://git-scm.com/docs/git-archive