incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Incubator report sign-off
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2014 17:10:53 GMT
I noted in my comments on the recent Incubator board report that I am
concerned, month after month, at the number of podlings that have no
mentor sign-off at all, as well as the ones where a minority of the
mentors sign-off.

I certainly don't expect that every mentor has their full attention on a
podling every month, but I do expect that a podling that cares about its
incubation will seek out that mentor sign-off, and that the mentors who
have committed to help a podling into the family will have a few moments
every few months to look in and approve a report.

The result, unfortunately, is that we have projects graduating with no
notion of the importance of reporting, and so we have TLPs that look at
reporting as a checkbox, submit exactly the same cut-and-paste report
each month, some of them without even changing stats and dates, or skip
their reporting entirely.

I don't mean to point fingers here - this is a problem that has existed
literally since the beginning of the Incubator, and I'm not innocent of
it myself. Indeed, I don't show up often enough even on this list.

But I wonder if we might, as the Board does, reject reports that have no
sign-off, and force projects to report again the following month, in an
attempt to require them to engage with their mentor(s) a little more?
This seems like a small, easily reversible, step, that has a good chance
of achieving something.

Thoughts?

(Please note that I originally started this thread on the IPMC list, and
some discussion has happened there, but it has been pointed out that
it's more appropriate to have this conversation in public.)

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon