incubator-general mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] TinkerPop: A Graph Computing Framework
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:04:39 GMT
A tad longer answer is that the immutable rules are meant to protect the
Apache Way, because we believe that healthy communities produce health
code. The ASF is a steward of communities that are themselves stewards
of code. The incubation process is meant to benefit the project, allow
new committers to get familiar with the social and legal
responsibilities associated with public releases, code governance, IP,
licensing, etc. Your case is slightly different because you're
experienced already with most of these aspects.

The champion and mentors are there to help you through the process. They
are volunteers who work to become eventually useless, at which point the
project graduates out of the incubator.

I hope this (and the links below) help(s),
Hadrian

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/learn/theapacheway.html
[2] http://theapacheway.com/
[3] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

On 12/18/2014 11:48 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> Marko,
>
> I note that you currently do not have a champion and that you have listed IBM as the
sponsor, with two individuals names who (to the best of my knowledge) are not ASF committers.
I suggest these are the first things you need to address in your proposal. Find a champion
who can help you understand what the Apache Way is and why IBM is not a sponsor (Sam is certainly
an excellent candidate to help you with that if he is willing).

> To your specific points below, since Sam has already responded to your points, I'll keep
my response short. Moving your primary project resources to the ASF is not a negotiable item.
There are many reasons for this. Your champion is responsible for ensuring you understand
the reasoning behind this.

> When a project comes to the ASF it comes for the Apache Way. That means projects that
choose to come here need to adopt the Apache Way in its entirety, not "just enough" to be
an Apache project.

> That being said, there are very few immutable rules in the Apache Way, much of it is
social structure an practices. But there are a few things that are designed to protect that
social structure, this a non-negotiable (at least outside of the ASF membership who, over
time, tweak the rules).

> Ross

over to The Apache Foundation. In particular, our GitHub presence and our public user-mailing
list (i.e. tech support mailing list). I have articulated our concerns in the freshly updated
proposal.

> 	https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/TinkerPopProposal
> 		Please see "W. Mailing Lists", "Y. Git Repository", and "X. Subversion Directory".
>
> Sam Ruby had stated that using GitHub for source control is an accepted practice now.
We can (though would prefer not to) move our issue tracking to JIRA. Again, we have all been
using GitHub issue tracking for 5 years and are comfortable with its interface. Likewise,
we can (though would prefer not to), move our user mailing list to Apache's mail list system.
If a distinction is made between "user mailing list" (tech support) and "contributor mailing
list" (governance), we can (and would prefer) to move over our "TinkerPop Contributors" mailing
list to ASF as this is where all the legal/political/governance discussion occur and should
be under the purview of ASF.