incubator-general mailing list archives

From Monosoft Mapple <a_gucc...@icloud.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] [DISCUSSION] Corinthia Abstract
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 14:18:11 GMT
🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽🚽

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 30, 26 Heisei, at 3:55 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:

> I put together an abstract in the Corinthia Podling Proposal.  It is a bit lengthy and
requires review that it captures the essence of what Corinthia is for without over/under-stepping.

> Here is the text also added to <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CorinthiaProposal>,
>
> """
> Corinthia converts among document file formats via transformation through an HTML-grounded
intermediary.  The selection of document file formats is expandable by addition of import
and export plugins.

> Editing in Corinthia is via a responsive editor, implemented in JavaScript and HTML (CSS),
that works on the web, in the cloud, and also adapts across device form factors for practical
use on mobile devices, tablets, and touch-enabled as well as keyboard-oriented interfaces.
 Corinthia document viewing and editing is on the intermediate form, limited to common, widely-supported
features. Corinthia is not a comprehensive substitute for format-specific authoring, editing,
and final-form printing/production software.

> To avoid irreversible loss of features from imported documents, Corinthia encapsulates
unsupported feature occurrences in a form that can be recovered from the intermediate as part
of subsequent export to the same or different format.

> Identification and confirmation of inter-convertible features of different formats for
dependable import and export involves development of extensive test documents in the different
formats.  There is profiling of the extent to which standardized formats are supported in
practice, with identification of deviations and implementation-dependent choices that impact
convertibility.

> All of the Corinthia test cases, profiling, plugin development, libraries, and utilities
are reusable resources to other projects.  All development of source-code for binaries is
in portable C Language for multi-platform compilation as well as API "wrapping" for delivery
to other programming models, such as for Python, .NET, Java, and Node.js.  Document format
file import and export plugins may be adaptable as import-export extensions used with other
document-processing software.