incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Votes for git repos - commit id vs tag
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:19:47 GMT

From: Bertrand Delacretaz [mailto:bdelacretaz@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 01:28
To: Incubator General
Subject: Re: Votes for git repos - commit id vs tag

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> ...Although many consider it best practice for release tarballs to be tied back
> to a specific version control identifier (including me), Apache release policy
> does not require it....

As we tried to say above, the timeline gets into play here.

Tying releases to version control is very useful *in the short term*
for people to verify the release, but in the long term you cannot
count on it. That's why our release policy centers on tarballs, the
rest is convenience.

<orcmid>
   I can see that the policy is appropriate because of the archival preservation
   of the tarball.  On the other hand, tarballs do not usually preserve history.
   Although one cannot be assured of preservation of the repository as a match,
   knowing what the match was, and might still be, is useful historically.
   One could recommend the convenience without it being a substitute for
   the tarball.  (Of course, with Git one can snapshot all of it [;<).
</orcmid>

-Bertrand