incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Stepping up as a Ripple mentor
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2014 18:11:00 GMT
As a follow up to my mail below I have discovered a worrying situation with Ripple and its
releases. I sent the following mail to the Ripple list moments ago. I will work with the community
to resolve this situation ASAP. This mail is just an FYI as this will be noted in the projects

Can anyone explain how it is that there is no ASF release yet the readme says:

"To install:

    npm install -g ripple-emulator"

Inspecting ripple-emulator on npm I see lots of mentions of Apache Ripple and no clear indication
that this is an incubating project. It looks to any uninformed user that this is an Apache
release, but it is not.  NPM was last updated a month ago.

More importantly the foundation is unable to provide appropriate legal protection for contributors
unless these release approved by the ASF.

This needs to be fixed, and quickly. Apache projects must conform to our release policy. This
is fundamentally important to the foundation and shoule be equally important to contributors
who hope to receive the legal protection that the foundation has been created to provide.

The overhead in making a release is minimal (at least once the initial due diligence has been
done on entry into the incubator).

Thanks for the input on the current status of the IP review. It is great that it seems it's
pretty much complete. Lets finish the job and get a release out.

Ross