incubator-general mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Convenience Binary Policy
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:14:18 GMT
Our situation is with JBurg.[1]

We have an ActionScript complier (called Falcon) which was donated along with Flex by Adobe.
The compilation has a dependency on JBurg to walk the tree.

One flavor of Flex (called FlexJS) is targeting Javascript and cross-compiling ActionScript
code to Javascript code using the Javascript flavor of the Falcon compiler to do so on the
end user’s machine. This compilation has a dependency on JBurg. JBurg can be installed manually
by the end user, but the Flex community has tried to simplify the setup process by downloading
JBurg by an installer script. The script was failing because of a hiccup with getting JBurg
from Sourceforge. We wanted to resolve the issue by including the JBurg binary directly.

That’s where all the confusion started… ;-)

Harbs

[1]http://jburg.sourceforge.net/
On Oct 23, 2014, at 11:46 AM, brane@apache.org wrote:

> On 22.10.2014 03:02, Justin Mclean wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Binary dependencies are, by definition, not released by the ASF; because
>>> we release source code. Also, software that has dependencies that are
>>> only available in binary form is not open-source, in my book.
>> You may possibly be forgetting about Category B licensed dependancies. These may
only be included in binary form in an Apache product. [1] They would be still be consider
open source by most people :-) The source does exist it's just not able to be included in
a Apache product due to the weak copy left provision the licences include.