incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Convenience Binary Policy
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:13:34 GMT
On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> I know we can’t go messing around with source packages without a vote, but
> what about binary packages?  Is it against policy to do something like
> this, and if so, can exceptions be made?

I may not have followed this quite correctly, here is what I understood of
the situation as you described it:

1) there is a bug in the FlexJS distro, considered low priority due to
sparse use

2) you needed a quickly corrected binary distribution

3) you created a correct distribution artifact and put it somewhere
non-Apache

4) you aren't claiming that the artifact you created is an Apache release
and you are pointing some workshop participants at your release.

I fail to see any problem whatsoever in what you did.  You used Apache
software to create a derived work which you are asking people to use in an
instructional setting.  As far as I can tell, the only claim you are making
is that your artifact is FlexJS with a fix that should be incorporated
upstream before long.

What's the problem?