incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bloated NOTICE files are evil
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2014 14:58:36 GMT
On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> >    3. presence or absence of NOTICEs in binary distribution doesn't
> >        affect source distribution.
>
> Not true.
>
> >    4. presence or absence of NOTICEs in source distribution doesn't
> >        affect binary distribution.
>
> Not true.
>
> ==
>
> The principle is that the NOTICE and LICENSE files in an ASF release
> tarball (whether that is binary or source) must only relate to the
> bits which are actually included in the artifact.

Actually, I think that I was ambiguous a bit in my statement.

My intent was to say that each distribution is independent and the notice
should be considered on the content of the distribution.  You are correct
that source may appear in binary distributions and binary in source
distributions and that these situations make my statements hard to
understand.

My point was that the content of one distribution does not inherently imply
the contents of the NOTICE or LICENSE files in a different distribution.
Each must be well-formed based on their own content.

Thank you for the clarifying restatement.