incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Graduation of Apache Drill from the Incubator
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:11:30 GMT
I'm reading http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community

"A major criterion for graduation is to have developed an open and
diverse meritocratic community ... The project is considered to have a
diverse community when it is not highly dependent on any single
contributor (there are at least 3 legally independent committers and
there is no single company or entity that is vital to the success of
the project). Basically this means that when a project mostly consists
of contributors from one company, this is a sign of not being diverse
enough. You can mitigate this requirement by admitting more external
contributors to your project that have no tie to the single entity."

This seems to contradict the idea that diversity is not required. I
think Roy's saying something else: you shouldn't have to turn down a
job to stay on a project, or leave a project to take a job. Of course.
Nobody wants to kick out contributors, or force addition of people
from other employers, to graduate. Of course, nobody said graduation
is a fait accompli.

The issue seems to have come up before, but is de facto not much
'enforced'. Diversity is great all else equal, but seems unrealistic
to demand on entering incubation.  I'm surprised if opinion is that it
also doesn't matter on exit. I think projects, realistically, get
driven by companies, and necessarily often start around one company. A
bit more diversity here would be good but hey. I take the message that
being an Apache project doesn't signify as much as is advertised (see
link above) about the 'community support' or diversity. Maybe just how
it is now and no big deal, but thought I would ask. Thanks for
indulging.

Ted you raise good points. I was looking at +/- lines really, not
commits, which is not affected by squashes, but still problematic.
Size != significance. Github credits the person who made the PR, not
who merged it (https://github.com/apache/incubator-drill/commits/master
see authored vs committed) but I think you are saying there are
significant commits that didn't start with a PR or similar. Recent
commits follow a similar profile as all commits. I'm not talking so
much about committers as community contribution. Yeah I'm speaking
about past not future contributions since graduation has happened now.