incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Bloated NOTICE files are evil
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2014 01:10:05 GMT
On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Excellent. More eyes on these issues is great. Thanks for spending your time
> on this.

+1

Sean and I have continued our conversation offline and were able to clarify
some aspects of our (very imperfect) documentation.  I believe we are now
largely in agreement, and I'm grateful for his conscientiousness and tenacity.

Here's my summary of where we ended up:

*   Think of NOTICE not as a vehicle for conveying information to downstream
    consumers, but as a mechanism for compelling redistributors to relay
    information.
*   Some of the advice in the outdated draft document
    <http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html> is misguided in that it attempts
    to use NOTICE in ways which are inappropriate given the obligations
    imposed by the ALv2.  For instance, 3party.html instructs that
    all "Category B" dependencies get a specific treatment in NOTICE; the
    final version at <http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html> omits this
    requirement while still implicitly allowing use of NOTICE when legally
    necessary.
*   Stuff shouldn't end up in NOTICE unless it was required by a copyright
    owner.  (See <http://s.apache.org/ZEA>.)
*   The only original text that we should be adding to NOTICE in our ASF
    capacity is the ALv1.1 advertising clause's replacement.
*   Another example of stuff that ends up in NOTICE is a contributor's
    copyright notice that they or their agent have relocated to NOTICE while
    deleting such notices from individual source files.
*   Not much else passes the test.

Marvin Humphrey